Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Let's Talk About Anti-Semitism

Since this is a blog with a Jewish theme (albeit a food-angled Jewish theme), it’s important to address issues going on in the Jewish community. And one of them is the rise of anti-Semitism.

Oh sure, I’ve heard in the past that Jews aren’t a minority, that we have nothing to fear, we are basically assimilated, etc. But then comes Oliver Stone.

Mind you, Oliver Stone is crazy. This is common knowledge, particularly because he has a history of conspiracy theories, practically making love to dictators and verbal diarrhea. This time, though, he claimed that the Jews control all the media and Washington, that the Holocaust was blown way out of proportion and Hitler was a scapegoat.

He quickly apologized, but I’m not as concerned about Oliver Stone. I know he’s looney tunes. I’m concerned about all the comments on the articles talking about this who claim that Oliver Stone’s quick apology was proof that the Jews control the media with everything else, listing companies that are run by Jewish people and saying how horrible we are and how we are going to dominate the world and the Holocaust wasn’t that bad.

The truth is the Jews can’t win. Whether it’s being blamed for the death of Jesus, blood libel or a little pamphlet called The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, we just can’t escape it. Sometimes, the anti-Semites create this for themselves – for example, in the late 19th century and early 20th century, Christians didn’t want to deal with money or entertainment. They thought of these as dirty. Jews never did, so they took on industry, film and the theater with no shame. So now it’s all about the money, and we have it – naturally, you get mad when people have something and you don’t.

What scares me is that people don’t want to see this. They want to believe that, in the 21st century, that we are beyond hate. We really aren’t. I dealt with anti-Semitism as a child (at nine, I was told I couldn’t come over because, “My mommy doesn’t like Jews”), but it doesn’t even hold a candle to what some of my friends have gone through. Several were called kykes on almost a daily basis. One of my friends had the pleasure of going to class to find a swastika carved on her desk that told her, “Go home Jew.” Several of them were beat up continually.

The worst part? They are all around my age. We are not talking about the ‘40s. We are talking about my generation of young Jews. This has driven their passion to stay Jewish in a time where many are assimilating. It has led them to be proud and not self-hating Jews. But we shouldn’t need to face anti-Semitism to be proud of who we are.

I am constantly reminded of my economics professor from Georgetown, Thomas Rustici, as he roared through a class one night after he discussed how many governments are responsible for killing their own people and discussed the Holocaust. Several girls giggled, and fire seemed to rise to his eyes. I had never seen a man that angry. That night, a group of students stayed late to comfort him, many of them the students I made friends with, the majority of whom were black. He apologized to me, saying that he could never imagine how that could make me feel. My friends and I were talking, and they said, “We know. That’s how we feel when people talk about slavery.”

I would have never known that had we not experienced this moment together. I saw into their lives as black people struggling for their identity, and they saw into mine as a Jew who had to deal with the difficulties of the past. I will never forget what Felicia, E.R. A.J. and the gang taught me on that night – that hate in all forms is still hate, and we must fight together and start a new tradition.

So therefore, I want to reach out to all the people whose minds are still open to love and acceptance: Get to know your neighbors. Meet those unlike yourself. Get to know us as Jews, Latinos, African-Americans, Muslims, Asians, whatever. Introduce yourselves. Sit down and have dinner with us (I promise that if you come to my house, I will cook for you). Hate must be taken down in simple baby steps. Young, Broke and Kosher is not just a lifestyle – it’s a way of coming together.

So in honor of this, I'm going to post this recipe which I am making tomorrow night. Enjoy!

TORTELLINI IN INFUSED BROWN BUTTER SAUCE

1 bag tortellini

1 stick butter

3-4 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese


Prepare the tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt the butter slowly in a small saucepan and remove any milk solids that float to the top. This is clarifying butter.

Smash the garlic (DO NOT MINCE) and add to the butter once melted. Add lemon zest and salt. Allow to cook slowly until the butter is browned.

While the tortellini is hot, add the brown butter mixture and toss gently. Sprinkle in parmesan cheese. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Fighting antisemitism with tortellini. I love it. When Mashiach comes we will go to greet him with pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Powered by Blogger.