Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Product of the Week: Takosher

This weekend, I headed out to Malibu to the Shalom Institute, where they were holding the Jewish County Fair. Although the event itself wasn’t as great as I thought it would be (although it provided some much-needed memory jogging of being at camp there), I finally got to the bottom of a mystery.

You see, I had been hearing rumors of a kosher taco truck by the name of Takosher that has been prowling the Los Angeles area. Food trucks have really become a trend in LA, so it was nice to be able to get a kosher one as well.

I had been reading about them, so I have wanted to find them. But where? Where? I don’t get up to LA as much as I used to, and it seems like these guys don’t get down to Long Beach or Orange County. Luckily, they visited the fair, and our paths finally crossed.

I told my friends that we had to get to the taco truck. There, I was able to purchase two very unique tacos: the Brisketaco and the Latketaco. The Brisketaco reminds me of a pulled pork variety taco that you would get from an unkosher truck, while the Latketaco was like nothing I had never seen – two spicy little potato fritters with an apple chutney on top. For $7, I got them with some chips and a Dr. Brown’s Black Cherry – a drink which, in itself, is heaven.

I first dug into the Latketaco, and I was amazed. It was like the best latke that you have ever had, but made better. The warm fritters we complemented by the chutney perfectly. I was brought back to Hanukah, eating latkes with apple sauce. But the thing that made it special was the kick – not overpowering, but enough to make my mouth tingle and crave some more.

Then it was time for the Brisketaco. The guys at the truck told us that this was the best taco that they had, and their most popular. I decided to take their word. When I bit into it, it was something quite special. The flavor was pure dynamite in my mouth. I did something I rarely do when I’m eating food that isn't mine – I rolled my eyes into the back of my head and savored the flavor. It was that good. The sweetness, the tang and then that hit of spice. It was my mother-in-law’s brisket, delicious as that may be, made better. Don’t tell Ima that. Although she may be reading this… hi Ima.

Mind you, there were some small flaws – I think the Brisketaco may have needed a little more sauce to make it moister, and I would love an extended menu incorporating some Sephardi flavors in tacos in addition to the traditional Ashkenazi fare. May I suggest a spicy Moroccan lamb taco with a sour cherry sauce? I’d get into that. Hell, if you’re reading this, Takosher, I’d help you make it.

Either way, if you’re walking along and you see the Takosher truck coming by, I suggest you take a look. They definitely are on the track to something delicious, and they need the love and support.

If you’re interested, follow them on Twitter @Takosher, find them on Facebook or visit their site, www.takosher.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.