Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Coumadin and I

As we approach the end of the year, it's time to look back on the things that changed us. I can't deny that this year was one of ultimate change, but for me, even a layoff was less difficult than dealing with a drug known as Coumadin, a common blood thinner usually given to people later in life, but I will take from the age of 27 onward.

I should probably start at the beginning when it comes to this, though...

At the age of 21, I fought for my life. In January 2004, I was diagnosed with five blood clots in my body, three of which had become pulmonary embolisms and lodged themselves happily in my lung. It was found that I have a genetic disposition for producing blood clots. I was given a course of Coumadin for six months, but the doctor gave me a warning as I weaned myself off the treatment, "One more clot, and you're done." That meant Coumadin for the rest of my life.

July 31, 2009, and I was done. Blood Clot #6 made its appearance in my left calf. Although I wasn't hospitalized like the last time, it meant Coumadin until the day I left this earth. It also meant monitoring my diet like mad. For those who aren't familiar with this drug, it is thrown off by the simplest things, whether it's the amount of exercise or the foods that you eat -- mainly, dark green leafies and green tea. This is due to the presence of Vitamin K, which is a clotting agent. It messes with your blood levels, which you get tested at the doctor's office on a regular basis.

Let's get something straight: I live in southern California. Here, salads and vegetables are more than just a little side or precursor to a meal. They are a way of life. If Californians could eat salads for breakfast, they would (so far, the only people I know who do that are the Israelis, with their delicious tomato and cucumber concoction). With our access to beautiful vegetables year-round, how could we not enjoy salad to the fullest? It doesn't help that as a kid, I loved my vegetables. Broccoli were "little trees" which I ate to my heart's content. And don't get me started with spinach. Popeye's got nothing on me.

The worst part was that every time I talked to my mother on the phone, another food was taken away from me. Since my uncle, father and I were all on Coumadin, everyone was able to share information from their doctors with the other (it doesn't help that my uncle is also a doctor). There were the outside peels of cucumbers and zucchini. Then came the cranberries and cranberry juice, followed soon after by mangoes. It was hard enough with my limitations for keeping kosher. Now I was keeping Coumadin, too.

I soon reached a depression. The Coumadin was changing my life completely. When I met Ari, it seemed like blood clots were a distant memory and I could go about things normally, with the exception of soreness from the scar tissue in my right lung when it became overcast and a left leg that's bigger than my right. But Clot #6 reminded me of painful truths, such as the inability to have my own children due to the danger pregnancy posed on me, and that I would be completely dependent on a pill -- and I hate being dependent on almost anything.

It turned out that for me, having a normal life was something that other people would get to enjoy while I was stuck taking pills. It didn't help that two weeks after Clot #6, I was laid off. It gave me more time to focus on everything I lost. By Labor Day weekend, I was beginning to crumble, breaking down in tears when Ari's grandmother told him how many children we were going to have and how great it would be, knowing that my uterus would probably be barren while his brother had three beautiful kids that I love, but still aren't mine.

I continued going to my doctor, as my levels were testing high. One day, she looked at me, and said, "Well, we can do one of two things. We can either adjust your dosage, or add back green leafy vegetables."

My brain suddenly switched on. I could have my broccoli back? I could eat salads like a normal Californian? Visions of spinach danced around in my head with glee.

"Veggies!" I cheered. She smiled, saying that I could bring them back for two to three times a week. Eventually, it was brought to four or five times a week, and my levels check out every time. Dark green leafies and I were reunited, much to the joy of my stomach, and salads made a comeback in the Kutner household. There was much rejoicing.

I am still adjusting to the changes that Coumadin has made to my life -- having people wishing that Ari and I would have children when we know that probably won't be able to happen, being careful about being cut and wearing a Medic Alert bracelet when I go out. But at least my dark green leafies ground me, and I get to eat all the spinach and "little trees" I want. I may not have a normal life, but at least I have my vegetables.

B'tayavon!

Spinach Macaron

1 large onion
½ cup (one stick) of butter or margarine
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 box frozen spinach
Small container of sour cream
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup parmesan cheese, plus extra
Salt and pepper to taste
Non-stick cooking spray

Sauté onion in the stick of butter or margarine until onions are translucent. Boil macaroni until al dente. Defrost spinach according to package directions and drain, making sure to squeeze out all the water. Let all of them cool.

Combine macaroni, onions, sour cream, eggs and parmesan cheese, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Fold all the ingredients together as not to destroy the macaroni.
Spray the casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put the macaroni mixture in. Put extra parmesan cheese on top. Bake for one hour at 350 degrees until it gets golden on top and the bottom gets crusty. Serve with salad.

Quick Tip: Due to all the butter in the dish, I like to use healthier alternatives, like whole wheat macaroni and light sour cream in lieu of regular. However, in the case of the sour cream, light doesn’t have as much flavor as the regular, so make sure that you season your mixture well with salt and pepper.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the post. I love to read articles which are about medicine or health related topics. They keep me up to date with the current issues. I hope to read more from you!

    Kosher Vitamins

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very interesting articles. I am on coumadin also, due to a brain clot (deep vein thrombosis). I didn't find out until after I had children that I had Lupas...an auto-immune disease. Lupas is different in everyone, but for me, the only thing it does is make my blood clot. So I'll be taking coumadin for the rest of my life. (I'm out of tears) It's been quite a journey. I was in the ICU 5 days and when I got out I had lost part of my memory...which I slowly got back, lost my sense of smell, (also slowly coming back and, to make a long story longer, the only reason I'm alive today is because I paid attention to a headache, thank God! I take headaches very serious now. Also, this happened when I was 46 and I had never even heard of coumadin...or a coumadin clinic. I was surprised to see the clinic was filled with white-haired people. Most of the comments from staff were "You're too young to be on coumadin" (since I don't look my age). I'm also from southern California but unlike you I never REALLY liked raw veggies so I opted not to have them. I didn't think I'd missed them until I couldn't have them. Now I want them but I'm so sick of the doctor's office that I just said forget it!
    Anyways, I wonder how I can take pills the rest of my life? What if I'm stranded on an island. I've already gotton to the point of forgetting whether or not I've taken the meds....urgh!
    Last thing..maybe you should seek a second opinion when it comes to having children. You can get so much mixed information from different doctors.
    Well take care of yourself and "Don't try to save the tree...keep eating them!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie,

    Trust me, I know the feeling -- when I go to my monthly doctor's appointment, I'm surrounded by people who are in their 60s and 70s -- and I will be taking these pills for the rest of my life, too! I'm only 27 years old, and this is a permanent deal.

    You can have veggies, but you just need to be careful. You can still have carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes (even though I don't like them), beans, olives and all sorts of delicious things. There are plenty of ways to enjoy salad and other such things.

    And as for the children thing... there are doctors who say that having children with my condition is possible, but it's an insanely difficult thing to do, as I would be considered very high risk. We can always adopt.

    Please keep in touch and stay positive! It's a hard thing to go through, but I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Reina, I found your post after searching for information from others who are kosher & taking Coumadin. All I can say is Thank You for continuing this blog. You never know the impact you have on others unless they share. I recently had a DVT blast through my heart and the bi-lateral PE(s) looked more like a shotgun blast; too many to count on each side. I just wanted you to know that reading your post made me feel better; a little less alone. Tikkun Olam comes in many different and unexpected forms :)
    Sandra
    Jacksonville, FL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for this post. I just recently had a blood clot in my carotid artery, which lead to a stroke. I went for my follow up MRI this past week..and my artery started to open back up...which would be a good thing, if it opened up all the way...but it only did a little bit... = the likelihood of another stroke is high. They put me on coumadin and it is so scary all the things we can't eat, or need to eat in such small amounts...If this doesn't work, then I have to get a stent put in my artery...Reading this post gave me hope...and I'm only 30.

    Marcy

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Powered by Blogger.