Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Putting on the Fritz

I have come to the conclusion that, if you are going through bad times, everything else has to go through it with you -- and I guess, in Ari's and my case, particularly the electrical equipment.

Right before I got laid off, my beloved TV/DVD player from college broke. Actually, this means that the remote broke, as you cannot operate said TV without it. Then the clot. The job loss came two weeks after that.

Our apartment must have been informed that everything should break while Ari and I were around to take care of it -- like this August, when the air conditioner and half the circuits decided to take a holiday on one of the hottest days of the summer. Soon after, so did all the other circuits. This morning, the microwave was down, as was the power in the wall separating the meat side of the kitchen to the bedroom -- so no movies on the new TV we pooled our Chanukah money to get for the bedroom.

But let us not forget those things that also decided to break, such as the garbage disposal, the tires on my car, the hot water faucet knob in our shower and the lock on our door, which also decided to break Ari's key in half. Except for the tires, let's just say that landlord David has been in our apartment a lot as of late, complaining of how Ari likes everything dark, so we "live in a cave." I guess if you're going to be in our lives and break, I guess now would be the time to do it -- except for the computer. You are relatively new, and if you break, you're going DOWN, son!

Although I may be jinxing myself now, it seems like the only things that haven't had a breakdown of any sort are, ironically, the stove and the fridge. How did they luck out in all this drama? Why were the ones who got a pass on the fritz that seems to be travelling faster than the swine flu through all the electrical elements of our lives?

I'd like to think that G-d wants us to eat, so therefore he hasn't taken away our food and the way to cook it. Or, by chance, G-d decided that there is a limit to schadenfreude, and has cut us some slack.

But perhaps there is a deeper meaning to this. Maybe the fridge and the stove symbolize hope and faith. G-d is reminding us that no matter what happens, or how much power goes out, that we should always have hope and faith beside us. We should read, enjoy each other, and find a way to be happy. I have to remind myself that in five years' time, this will be a distant memory that Ari and I will laugh about or be thankful isn't happening again. You have to find humor in everything, after all.

Currently, thanks to our wonderful landlord, everything is working. But for how long? I can almost hear our circuit breakers plotting for their latest diversion. G-d, I think I may need to get out a bit more. This can't be a good sign if I can hear our circuit breaking saying words.

Either way, in times like these, I often turn to my comfort foods that are simple to make. Turkey Joes happen to be one of my favorites.

TURKEY JOES
2 pounds ground turkey
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
Dash salt and pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup flour
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
2 teaspoons mustard
2 teaspoons honey
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
hamburger buns


Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Meanwhile, season the turkey with the salt and pepper.

Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in the pan. Add the garlic and allow it to cook slightly in the olive oil. Add the onion and allow them to become translucent. Remove to a small bowl and add the other two tablespoons of olive oil.

Add the ground turkey and stir in the pan until all the pink of the meat is gone. Add the onions and garlic back, as well as the flour. Stir until all the flour absorbs the juices from the meat. This is going to be the base of your sauce.

Add the barbecue sauce, honey, mustard and rice vinegar. Stir until every piece is completely coated. Serve on hamburger buns. Get yourself a napkin, because it will be messy!

1 comment:

  1. Also a note -- ground turkey is super-cheap in the kosher world, so this recipe is fantastic for those who want meat but don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Powered by Blogger.