Thursday, December 31, 2009

HAPPY &*#^!@ NEW YEAR'S!

For all of you wondering what the quote above was, it's not my words. It's the words of Billie Joe of Green Day when I saw them about six weeks ago (long story). But in all honesty, it could have been me saying that as I held up my fist high to what I perceive as my theme song to 2009, "21 Guns."

I won't deny for a second that this year was a difficult one, and I look forward to 2010 with all the joy and happiness it will bring. But above all, I look forward to tonight, for I love New Year's Eve. I have had some wonderful ones, ranging all across Southern California (and one in NorCal), from the San Fernando Valley to Riverside, the depths of the OC and home sweet home in Lakewood.

I have wonderful memories of New Year's, whether it's watching "Finding Nemo" at 2 a.m. in Riverside to snuggling up to Ari on a futon in cold Sacramento weather. I had a blast in Coto de Casa last year, and was able to host friends the first New Year's Ari and I were married.

But I have a very distinct and special memory about one New Year's. It was 2004/2005, and I had a few friends over at my college apartment in Fullerton -- Lauren, Keila and Avi, Lauren's now-husband. They were Shabbat observant, so there was no television to speak of. Avi was already asleep by 11:30 p.m.

But by midnight, Lauren, Keila and I were gathered around my old alarm clock (possibly the world's noisiest alarm clock, might I add), counting down the seconds to midnight quietly so as not to wake Avi. We then drank (I think), and spoke of what we wanted for the upcoming year for ourselves.

It may not have been the hubbub of large parties, but there was something there that was so special about this moment in my life. 2004, as many people know, was a strange year of crossroads, with blood clots, weight loss (and gain back), and readjusting to life in college and trying to wrap that up so I could get my life started. I had so many hopes for the year to come -- and luckily, got all I could have ever wanted in 2005.

It reminds me of something Inbar said about a week and a half ago, reflecting on Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) versus the New Year in America. One is about reflection, the other "getting wasted." I love reflection, but I also love a good party -- just ask anyone who knows me. Personally, there can be a great balance between celebration and reflection, and you don't even have to get wasted if you don't want to.

So, as I go today and make all the food for tonight's New Year's Eve tiny extravaganza, I hope that we are able to reflect on this year and that all our hopes come true. I hope your 2010 is filled with light, love and happiness. As for a recipe, I will leave one of the greats: stuffed mushrooms. Enjoy!

STUFFED MUSHROOMS

12 large-capped mushrooms (see Quick Tip 1)
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves
4 stalks celery
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh parsley
Shredded parmesan cheese (optional for dairy)

Wipe mushrooms with a damp towel and remove the stems (see Quick Tip 2). Put on a baking sheet with the caps face down and bake in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes. This should allow the water to be released from them before they’re stuffed.

Finely chop the onion, garlic, mushroom stems and celery (mom calls this "celery dust"). Heat up the margarine in a skillet and sauté the veggies until the onions are just translucent. Add the parsley, breadcrumbs and cheese stir, making sure they are able to stick together. If not, just add a little bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Turn over the caps and stuff the mushrooms with the breadcrumb mixture. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Serve hot.

Quick Tip 1: The recipe calls for white mushrooms, but I have found that it also works well on baby portabella – or cremini – mushrooms. There are also special stuffing mushrooms, although they are a bit more expensive.

Quick Tip 2: Unless you like your mushrooms rubbery, never wash them directly under water.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Reina. I would have to beg to differe with your friend's take on the American New Year, however. There are many of us who use the time for reevaluation and reflection (I almost always do)...and many of us who never ever ever get wasted. :)

    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Powered by Blogger.