Friday, February 19, 2010

Goodbye, Rabbi Bouskila

My wedding day was a very special one. The memories, the family members, the love that surrounded all of us were immeasurable. And in the middle of it all was a rabbi by the name of Daniel Bouskila.

This man is the strength of the Sephardic community in Los Angeles. As the head of the Sephardic Temple Tifereth Israel, he set himself up to be one of the strongest Israel advocates for AIPAC, a phenomenal speaker, a wise man and a person of heart and fairness. He was a son of the Los Angeles Sephardic community, a part of it from childhood, not to mention the one that many people trusted with the most important events of their lives. (NOTE: For those who aren’t familiar with Sephardim, it’s the Jews of Spain who trace their ancestry before the inquisition in 1492, and are from Western Europe and around the Mediterranean).

And now, after sixteen years, he is leaving his post. This is the only job that this rabbi has ever had, and now he is moving on.

The shock of this turn of events seemed to reverberate through me. This was the man who buried my grandparents, oversaw my family’s mourning, and stood by Ari and I at our wedding. He comforted us, gave us strength, showed us possibilities where there seemed to be none and often surprised us (let’s face it – I never expected him to like “Waltz With Bashir.” By the way, it’s worth a rent if you’ve never seen it).

This man was our center, and his beautiful family -- with the amazing Peni, his wife; Shira, his daughter with the gorgeous voice and tremendous spirit; and Elan, a child with so much heart that obviously came partially from his father – were the first family of this community. His father, Nessim, was also a part of this. His passing last summer obviously struck our rabbi hard.

I’m sure a lot of people are questioning what we are going to do without our beloved Rabbi Bouskila. Before him was Rabbi Jacob Ott who had his position for over 40 years. He left many wonderful memories as he passed on into his retirement, as will Rabbi Bouskila as he moves forward with his sabbatical and projects.

But even though the community is confused, not to mention afraid of what is to come, all I can think of is a portion of our Torah that was recently discussed at our Long Beach women’s weekend. It is called Lech Lecha. It’s a portion traditionally read in October, but it’s one that is worth remembering any time of year. And it basically translates to, “Go forth.”

It is what we are meant to do. We have to keep moving forward. No matter what happens, we are always meant to move forward. We can’t linger in our past. We must remain strong, and go to destinations that we may not be familiar with. It might be frightening, but taking the risk is worth it.

Let me not forget the story of the hiring of Rabbi Jacob Ott. When he came to the Sephardic Temple, he was a controversial figure. He wasn’t Sephardic, and he had been a part of a huge scandal. Despite all this, he was wise and an incredible rabbi. Many people at the temple were against taking him, but a few men stood up for him, saying that he was a great rabbi and we should be thankful to have him. I am proud to say that one of the people who stood up for Rabbi Ott was my grandfather, Joe Amira.

It was frightening to take him on, but they had to move forward. And, as they say, the rest of the story with Rabbi Ott was history… although the way I like to remember the man is giving him kisses as a little girl, with him laughing and saying, “I’m melting! I’m melting!”

We will find our footing, and I am not afraid for Rabbi Bouskila. He is an amazing man who has only just begun to leave his huge footprint on this world. I wish for all his success, not to mention that of his family. Unfortunately, I will not be there for his final service at the Sephardic Temple (Jewlicious got in the way), but I know it will be amazing. I wish for him the renewal of spirit, and all the strength in the world to go forth, as G-d told Abraham. I will always remember the comfort he gave to me in my time of need, and the joy he provided at the happiest time in my life. I will remember him every step of the way as I go forth on my journey – and, hopefully, our paths will cross again.

When I think of Rabbi Bouskila, I think of Israel, so therefore I think of Israeli salad. He likes his with a bit of parsley and lemon juice. My former roommate Boaz likes his with Za’atar and lebne cheese. Ari likes his, “Very nicely, thank you.” Don’t ask.

ISRAELI SALAD

2 tomatoes

1 cucumber

1 green onion

2 tablespoons lemon juice, or juice of ½ lemon

1 tablespoon olive oil

Finely dice the tomato and cucumber and put into a small bowl. Cut small pieces of the green onion and add to the bowl. Juice the lemon or add the lemon over the vegetables, and pour on the olive oil. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.