Thursday, February 4, 2010

A lot of people wonder, with a blog like this, if I have any other loves besides food. What else do I do, after all, besides stand around in my kitchen and make food, not to mention kayak?

The truth of the matter is that I do have another love. It’s film. I am enamored. The experience of watching film is something incredible to me that I can’t even quite begin to explain.

It’s been a long-time love affair – from going to the movies with my father as a child, smelling that greasy movie popcorn lingering in the air, sitting in cushy chairs and getting to take in our movie. But my adult love started at 16. Ironically, it was around the time that the AFI list of top 100 movies was first released. I became determined to see them all, and start at the beginning: “Citizen Kane,” considered by many to be the greatest film ever made.

I sat down to watch it with my dad, and I was entranced: the angles of the camera, the clarity of the film and that gorgeous storytelling. Needless to say, I became a junkie after that, absorbing great filmmaking. I watched “The Godfather” with glee (and before anyone challenges me, I think the first one is the stronger film of the two) and really understood what I was watching before – such as my childhood favorites, “The Wizard of Oz” or “Yellow Submarine.”

As I got older, my tastes diverged from my father’s – while he favored more classical filmmakers, I enjoyed watching the crisp dialogue of Quentin Tarantino and absorbed Marty Scorcese’s beautiful cinematography work. But I never gave up appreciating it, loving it, sucking in everything each movie had to offer. Netfilx has been very helpful in being able to get all these films into my home (except “Forbidden Planet” – still waiting for that one to come out).

Although my dad is still trying desperately to get me into a basic film class, I enjoy interpreting and enjoying the film, even without the criticism that goes with it. And what do we get from these films? We get the ability to laugh together, to cry together, to be a part of each other’s lives. You don’t need to take a film class to appreciate what film brings to our experience as human beings. We share in cultural experiences and truly appreciate what a crew of potential crazies bring to us.

For me, film is a sacred form of storytelling, and it is important to preserve the originality instead of trying to retell stories that have been done over and over again with motion capture, Robert Zemekis (you’re on my not-nice list, as you are going to destroy one of my favorite childhood memories). I look to current films, such as “(500) Days of Summer,” “Inglorious Basterds” and yes, even “Avatar,” to help keep strong filmmaking going – to make us wonder, laugh, cry, understand and find a way to be a part of this world.

In honor of the free spirit of film and everything it has to offer, I am offering an alternative to greasy movie popcorn – a favorite of mine, but insanely fattening. You won’t get much better with White Chocolate popcorn, but it is a sweet treat.

WHITE CHOCOLATE POPCORN

1 large bag of kettle corn popcorn

½ cup white chocolate morsels

Pop the popcorn according to package directions. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.

Pour the morsels into a small bowl and put into the microwave. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat this until the mixture is smooth without any lumps. (see quick tip) Using a spoon, pour over the popcorn mixture. Allow it to cool before serving.

Quick Tip: If there’s anything else that burns faster than popcorn, it’s chocolate. White chocolate is particularly susceptible, so keep a close eye on your microwave. If unable to use a microwave, put a bowl on top of a saucepan of boiling water and melt that way. It’s known as a “double boiler,” and is the traditional way of melting chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.