Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Superheroes

In 1932, in the heart of the Great Depression, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two first-generation Jews in America, created a hero in Cleveland, Ohio. He was incredibly strong, with superhuman abilities that he dedicated to using for good to save others. He was meant to be a beacon, and in all essence, he was a dream of theirs.

You may not know the creators’ names, but I am sure you know of their creation. His name is Superman, the first of many of the superheroes developed in comic books, television shows and other such places.

Perhaps it was because it was a more innocent time, but Superman captured hearts and minds. We were looking desperately for a savior, someone to pull us out of the depths. In many ways, Superman was it for many people.

Let’s flash forward to 2010. The world has changed dramatically since Jerry and Joe brought their hero forward. Still, people look desperately for their heroes. They will turn to their politicians, talking heads on television and radio, to the silver screen, to religion – anywhere they can – so they can find this great person who is going to save us from the heartbreak that is our current economic crisis.

I’m not going to lie and say that I don’t look for one. These past seven months have been possibly some of the hardest of my life, fighting desperately for survival and coping with the hand that G-d dealt me. It was unemployment and then some – the lost ability to have children, the dependence on medication and the potential of driving those away that we love due to the pain.

It was something my parents had dealt with when I was young. I couldn’t understand what it was to pinch pennies and look with a frightened eye to the future, where no end to the suffering is in sight and the fear of losing everything is a very realistic possibility. But now, I know, and I see that no one is coming to save me. I don’t get a Superman. I am simply Young, Broke and Kosher – trying to do G-d’s will in a world where it seems like that G-d has turned his/her back on my husband and I. It can break you down, cause you to want to turn your back as well; after all, you’re supposed to even make us fruitful and multiply, and you can’t even do that for me?

Speaking with my beloved mother-in-law today, I realized something – something which I probably always knew, but had to be reminded of. I thought to myself, to hell with G-d and Superman. There is no one coming to save me from the hell that I have been put through. It’s time to save myself.

I have to learn to be my own superhero, and find my superpowers and save the world, starting with mine. I have sidekicks, not unlike a superhero does, with my wonderful friends by my side. I will find my way through this world, kick doors down and bring justice. I will save those who have become too weak to fight, because it’s my obligation to.

As women, we’re often told that Prince Charming isn’t coming, so it’s time to do something. I say the same thing to both men and women of this world: No one’s coming to save you. There is no miracle cure. There is you, in all your greatness and power, who needs to realize that you are incredible and can do amazing things with your life. It’s time to stand up and do it. Superman isn’t coming, so be your own Superman. You will be thankful that you were.

This recipe is dedicated to my favorite superheroes: my parents and my grandparents. I don’t know how you did it, but you did incredible things. You taught me how to be a fighter despite the odds. I love you very much. And because of that, this is toasted spaghetti, my favorite comfort food. It’s great combined with tuna salad (see the recipe here).

TOASTED SPAGHETTI

1 cup cooked spaghetti (see quick tips 1 and 2)

Salt

¼ cup canola oil

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, take a small frying pan and heat the oil over medium heat. When it is hot, the oil should run smoothly, like water. In order to make really sure it’s ready, just take a noodle and put it into the oil. It should bubble and sizzle.

Put your pasta into the oil and allow to fry for 5-7 minutes, until it is golden brown. If desired, you can flip the pasta and toast the other side as well. Serve.

Quick Tip 1: You should always season your spaghetti. When the water for your pasta comes to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt.

Quick Tip 2: Although it’s traditionally done with spaghetti, I love my toasted spaghetti with linguine or fettuccini instead. Any long-stranded pasta (save for lasagna noodles) should work.

1 comment:

Followers

Powered by Blogger.