Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Distractions

*DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. I wouldn’t ever claim to be one. This is my story with my meds. I am not encouraging anyone to get off of medications. If you are on any prescription medications, you should always talk to your doctor before attempting anything.

Since I was 11 years old, I knew I had ADHD. This just became common knowledge. Until the age of 19, I was on all sorts of prescription drugs to control the ADHD and the factors it came with.

I had a little bit of everything, from traditional ADD medications to anti-depressants. I even took a pill which had the lovely affect of making my body believe that it was pregnant at the age of 16, causing a substantial weight gain. When I got into college, I found out from my psychology textbook that this same medication is used on schizophrenics. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Eventually, I wanted to stop taking my medication. I went to my psychiatrist, who gave me the go-ahead. I wanted to test myself in the real world, sans drugs, as I never had the chance. After some withdrawl, I got into a groove, and I’d say that I found a great deal of success – I became a lot less apathetic and more into enjoying life and everything it had to offer. But as anyone who knows me can tell you, I am still a little ADD-ish.

I find now, more than ever since I have been unemployed, I find that I let these distractions get to me. When I was working, I was in full control and got everything done. I kept myself focused and determined. I was organized and ready to go. But with no schedule or anything to keep me in check, it becomes difficult to keep it together.

Today is probably the best example of this: I woke up this morning, ate breakfast as I always do. I decided today I got to write that blog post, as I haven’t been blogging in a while. Then, as I get on my computer and begin to try to blog, I get distracted by starting to futz around with my iTunes. Focus, Reina, focus! Blog post!

I decided then that I couldn’t stay in the house, what with the TV and everything. I had to get out. I decided to head into Cerritos to my new favorite Coffee Bean (the guy who serves the drinks is a total sweetheart – plus, there’s a Chipotle next door). But with that big shopping center across the street, I couldn’t go without taking a walk. I ended up walking, hopping in and out of stores ogling things I couldn’t afford – so much so that two hours pass!

I finally get to my Coffee Bean, and then check the news – only to get distracted by “Glee,” my brand new favorite show, and their newest guest star, Jonathan Groff, who was in Spring Awakening, a musical I love. So here I am, at the Coffee Bean with my delicious 32-ounce Tropical Passion iced tea with Wikipedia opened to his page, trying desperately to get this blog post out without drifting off into thinking about a grocery list, troubles with finances and job hunting.

Maybe one day I will take ADD medication again, although I am resistant to. There are days where I suspect that I may have been addicted to my medication, because there are times where I feel that the only thing that can solve things is a bit of Adderal or some other Speed-based ADD medication. Instead of the side effects of medication, the only effect that I have is that I am Captain Oblivious. Personally, I find it more endearing than those I got from the medications.

But I realize now that it weakened me in so many ways. Once I got myself off the drugs, it seems like my life turned around. I became a better student and found myself. I carved my own path. My decision to do what I did was not smiled upon, but I took my life into my own hands. Prescription drugs were no longer a crutch, and I took responsibility. I had to.

I am not discouraging anyone from taking medication – in fact, there are many people who need their prescription drugs, both for the safety of themselves and the safety of others. In many cases, medication is crucial; in mine, it was standing in my way. I know that I am a rare case, able to make a choice about my life. And life has never been sweeter.

So here is my favorite sweet treat: Chocolate-dipped fruit. As Ari’s cousin/my kindred spirit Sabrina once said, “You men have your beer and football, us women have chocolate-dipped strawberries.” Plus, you will save tons of money instead of buying dipped strawberries at a chocolate shop for $3 a pop.

CHOCOLATE DIPPED FRUIT

2 cups chocolate morsels

1 cup strawberries

1 banana

½ navel orange (see Quick Tip 1)

Toothpicks

Prepare a baking sheet with a sheet of wax paper on top.

Peel the banana and slice into 1-inch pieces. Wash and dry the strawberries. Peel the navel orange and tear into segments. I like doing this by slicing off the top, then slicing slighting into the skin of the orange and peeling with my fingers. Put toothpicks in them. Set aside.

Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until all the morsels are melted. Once completely melted, dip the fruit into the melted chocolate and place on the wax paper. Continue until all the fruit is dipped.

Put the baking pan in the refrigerator and allow to cool for at least 1 hour. Serve.

Quick Tip 1: If you don’t like any of the fruits above (for example, I don’t like bananas), feel free to substitute with raspberries or blackberries. They work well with the dipping process.

Quick Tip 2: When you wash the fruits, make sure that all the fruit is dry before you dip them. Otherwise the chocolate won’t stick to the fruit and the water will mess up the chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.