Monday, January 11, 2010

Changes

Sorry for the delay in posting everyone. I will try to be more consistent from this point on...

It's a new year, and obviously one filled with changes. So far, it has been filled with engagements, graduations, weddings and overall people moving on with their lives. On Saturday, I saw two first-hand examples: I watched as my cousin Griffin, who for some odd reason I can't stop picturing as the world's cutest three-year-old, got his Eagle Scout commendation; then I said good-bye to a wonderful friend, Adam Riley, as he gets ready to spend eight months in Israel and then a few months in Tuscany making wine.

I find often, as a human race, that we are reluctant to change. We want things to stay exactly as they are, because they are comfortable, or the way they have always been (I could use this as an argument for so many things). Only if the situation is desperate enough we will spend our time crying to the stars, begging desperately for it because we feel like that we can't get through with our lives the way they are.

But what I have found is that change truly comes in its most purest form when it comes to us naturally. We grow and keep moving forward by earthly design. Let's face it, we're not growing backwards, although I am pretty confident that if there was a way, it would have already been patented and sold to the highest bidder. As much as we want to capture the way things were and put it in a bottle, it is fleeting and will never come back.

I do love the past, and trust me, I have some fabulous memories. As I was saying goodbye to Adam, I flashed back on all the fun times we had together, ranging from wine tasting (more about that later this week) to spending New Year's Eve and then half of New Year's Day with him at his house, camping out on his couch. There have been smiles, games and tons of laughter. And I think of Griffin and his sister, Lindzey, and all the wonderful times we had together and all the special things that we did while we were growing up -- such as singing to the Beatles and watching Star Wars together.

I think of Lindzey's bat mitzvah as another cousin, Hannah, will have her turn at the Torah next month. I sit at my desk and look at the Sock Buddy that Lindzey made as a part of her tzedakah project for her bat mitzvah, which since then has always had a home on top of my monitor. Lindzey has just graduated from college, and she has grown to be an amazing young lady, full of smarts and promise. She may not be that adorable seven-year-old with the bushy red hair anymore, but she is becoming an incredible person. And as wonderful as Hannah is now at 13, she will grow up and become amazing too, just like Lindzey. I imagine that all my cousins will do the exact same.

So now, I accept change -- for better and for worse, because it shapes us into the people that we become. We may linger on the past and what could have been, but moving forward and embracing life is what really makes the journey really worth it. We have to embrace the good and bad that comes our way. I love the memories that we had, but I know there are many more great memories to come. And that itself is a blessing.

So in the spirit of change, a little birdie suggested to me that I might want to consider putting on some healthier recipes. So I am going to put up the recipe for Polenta Pie. This one comes from Rachel Bookstein, an amazing woman, although I have changed it slightly over the course of time. It's vegan and super-healthy and tasty. Just remember what I told you about draining frozen spinach from Lasagna Florentine.

POLENTA PIE

3 cups fresh polenta (see quick tip 1)
1 package of frozen spinach, drained well
3 cloves garlic
1 onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 package soy crumbles
1 can seasoned tomato sauce or 2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional for dairy)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour polenta into the bottom of a deep baking dish and allow to cool. Meanwhile, slice the onion, mince the garlic and defrost the spinach in the microwave.

Heat up a skillet with the oil. Put the onion and garlic and sautee until onion is just soft and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. When the spinach is done defrosting, take it out of the microwave and drain. (see quick tip 1) Add to the onion and garlic and stir.

Layer the spinach, garlic and onions on top of the polenta. Break up the soy crumbles and put them on top.

Pour the sauce over the crumbles, and top with basil, oregano and optional cheese. Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes and serve.

Quick Tip 1: Making your own polenta is actually easier than it looks -- the ratio is one cup of corn meal to three cups of boiling water and a little salt. Stir it up until it becomes thick. If you like a little more flavor in your polenta, I sometimes add pareve chicken boullion. You can use a tube of polenta, heat it up in a saucepan and layer it, but I think making your own is better.

Quick Tip 2: If soy isn’t your thing, this can easily be translated to carnivores: substitute the soy crumbles for browned ground beef or turkey. Just cook it with the onion, garlic and spinach before you add it on top and leave out the cheese.

Quick Tip 3: You can add any other vegetables to the polenta pie you want -- just make sure they are chopped into small pieces and layer them in before the tomato sauce and spices. My personal favorite veggies in this is a frozen mix of peas, carrots and corn that's been defrosted and put into the frying pan with the onion, garlic and spinach to give them a charred look before I add them into the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.