Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Some fun things



I will post today's entry for YBK in about an hour or so, but until then, here is are several photos to amuse you, courtesy of Whatshisface, my new Macbook.

First, say hello to my purple carrot!




I actually found out this weekend that in order get these bad boys purple, they breed them with beets! It actually figures, because the last time I used them, they stained my fingers purple for a while.

Now, to the cauliflower...




This cauliflower is called a Romanesco cauliflower. Although it looks strange, it's not unlike your normal cauliflower. Weird random fact: Do you know that cauliflower also comes in orange and purple varieties?

I got both of these from my favorite vendor at the farmer's market, along with a mix of miniature red, white and blue potatoes. I'm going to use those to make a meat and potato hash my grandmother made called pulpa, and I'm making the cauliflower above as a side dish. I'm planning to use my purple carrots for a multi-colored Asian slaw pretty soon.

I will keep you posted on how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.