Monday, January 4, 2010

A Special Market

A lot of people have asked me where I find the inspiration for my recipes. It really does come from everywhere: studying different cookbooks, watching shows, even just going to the market is the source of inspiration.

But there is a very special market that provides inspiration, and it's only once a week: on Sunday mornings. This time of the week has always been a time of reflection and joy for me, particularly from the ages of 13 to 18 when I was heading off to Hebrew High in L.A.

Now, on Sunday mornings, I head out to the Long Beach Marina, getting ready to look at the freshest fruits and vegetables at the local farmer's market. As I had mentioned before, there is nothing more that I like than people providing the fruits of their labors. Here, there are actual fruits and vegetables -- and some that would never see the light of day at a regular grocery store.

For me, crawling out of bed early in the morning, getting dressed, slipping on a hat and driving down to the end of the 605 is almost like a pilgrimage. Although there are some drawbacks -- such as pedestrians who forget that they're walking in the middle of a street when a car is coming -- for me, there is nothing more pleasurable. The sun is shining, and occasionally there is a breeze coming off the water.

The diversity of the people who come to the farmer's market is staggering -- families with small children, hipsters wearing their flowy skirts, older people walking arm in arm. They carry their totes, getting ready to load them with what the sellers have to offer.

And what, exactly, do they offer? It is always fascinating to see things move on from season to season, and see what people are offering. One seller offers carrots in plenty of different colors (my favorite are the purple ones), while another offers potatoes in a red, white and blue mixture. Brussell sprouts are on display with their bright colors, while the herbs offer a delicious scent in the air.

You continue down to also find the fish monger offering his cuts of the day from his chilled truck, ranging from expensive Ahi tuna to reasonable snapper. There are also honey distributors, bread bakers and even hummus and the world's best tzatzki, a delicious yogurt, cucumber and garlic dip.

As time goes on, you continue to wander, maybe getting a sweet corn tamale or buying a bunch of flowers, sampling the sweet strawberries and oranges that may be available from some of the growers. Occasionally, I even swing by the arts and crafts fair nearby to see what's available there.

But eventually, I return home with the goodies that only the freshest growers provide. I try to use them as fast as I can, so as not to waste. But I remember talking to all the growers and shoppers, who tell me the best way to prepare something that I may not have worked with before, but there is some room left for experimentation. But no matter what, in order to get the best food, get the best ingredients to play with.

Here is one of my favorite recipes, and I used a lot of what I got at the farmer's market. B'tayavon!

ZUCCHINI AND POTATOES GRATIN

7 small zucchini, or 5 medium
2-3 cups small potatoes (see quick tip)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons dried basil

Slice the zucchini and place in a deep baking dish. Chop the potatoes in to the same size chunks so they will bake at the same rate. Pour olive oil over them, along with salt, pepper, basil and 1 cup parmesan cheese. Mix until evenly coated, preferably with your hands.

Cover with foil and put into a 400 degree oven. Let cook for 20 minutes, then uncover. Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on top. Let cook for ten more minutes. Serve hot.

QUICK TIP: I get a mixed package of potatoes with this with rose, blue and white potatoes. It looks super-pretty with the zucchini. If you can't find these, regular white potatoes will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.