Friday, January 29, 2010

What is family?

What makes a family?

It is a question that I have come across quite often, and it's one that I still often debate in my head. Is it simply being related? Somehow, I don't think so -- I have relatives who I am related to, but I wouldn't consider them a part of my family. Hell, there is a whole clan on my father's side who I have only met several times in my life. Would I consider them my family? Most likely, no.

Meanwhile, some of my friends are as close as siblings to me. Patrice and I are "sisters," and my friend Adam has almost been like the adorable younger brother I never had, and when I get off the phone with my friend Eve, we always tell each other, "I love you." When we go to certain young professionals events in our community, it feels like a giant family reunion filled with loving aunts, uncles and cousins.

As much as I love my immediate family members, I don't see them that often. Since I live in Long Beach, and many people from the greater Los Angeles area believe than anything south of the 10 freeway is the equivalent to the end of the world, I don't get as many visits as I would like. So, over time, a new family was created for Ari and I, filled with friends.

I don't love my family members any less. I do love them dearly, particularly all my amazing cousins, my pragmatic sage of a father, my funny mother and my sister who is... well, my sister. But they are just as much my family as Nelli, Inbar, Rae, Patrice, Josh and the whole gang. When I hug them after a long week at a Shabbat dinner, it feels like coming home.

I would love my family members and I to be closer, but the fact is that, considering everything, I've got a pretty good family here -- one that laughs, loves and finds happiness through each other. It's important to cherish the ones that we love and who love us -- no matter how they are related to us.

So in honor of them, I will put out one of my favorite recipes, for toasted orzo. I love this dish, and it is good whether you want it as a side dish or as a midnight snack. Shabbat shalom!

TOASTED ORZO

1 lb. bag of orzo (about 2 1/2 cups)
2-3 tablespoons butter or margarine
5 cups water with 5 teaspoons chicken bullion
Salt and pepper

Melt the butter or margarine in the bottom of a sauce pan over medium high heat. Once the butter is hot enough, add the orzo and stir continuously to allow to evenly coat and to toast until a golden brown.

Add the water with bullion to the mixture along with salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to absorb the water, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.