Friday, January 8, 2010

The Sabbath Queen

Before I continue, I will confess that I do not keep Shabbat as defined by the 39 regulations dictated by the Talmud. I am not an Orthodox Jew, and would never make out that I am one, although I do my best to respect those who are.

But all of that aside, I do have a special love affair with Shabbat -- particularly Friday night.

It is a holy time. Growing up, my family made sure to always come together for a Shabbat meal. We would light the candles, say prayers and eat chicken (because, hey, what's more Shabbat than chicken?). My grandparents, G-d bless their souls, would call us every Friday night to wish us a Shabbat Shalom -- sometimes, if I close my eyes, I will hear echoes of my grandfather's voice saying it. I remember, as a little girl, even making challah with my mother, as there was no place in our corner of the Bay Area at the time to purchase one.

We would sometimes be joined by guests -- such as my elementary school principal, Pat DeMarlo, her sister Ann and mother Jo -- but usually, it was Mom, Dad, my sister Shoshana and me. In many cases, since my Dad frequently spent his weeks in whatever part of California his job was, Friday night was almost like a reunion for the family, and it would take place over our kitchen table with a meal that was up to the occasion.

I would continue this tradition into my college years. At Pierce/Valley Hillel, the Fellow who was there my freshman year insisted on making home cooked meals in the headquarters' kitchen. It was my first experience with an actual kosher kitchen, not knowing that it would be my future. Eventually, I even made a Shabbat meal in the kitchen while she was away.

At one point, I was finishing things up as I came into the room where all the other guests were praying. It was fascinating, because they were bowing towards me -- or, namely, the door I walked in. It turns out I stepped in as they were saying, "Bo'i kallah," during the prayer L'cha Dodi, where it is customary to bow towards the "Sabbath Queen," the bride and mate of the Shabbat, as she enters and makes her presence known with the Jewish people. People started to laugh -- all of a sudden, I was a queen.

It's what I love about Shabbat -- there is so much laughter and joy to go around, and we share it with the people that we love the most. I have had some of my happiest memories on Shabbat, whether it's been a visit from my cousin Jacob to spending Shabbatons at Camp Ramah, Camp Alonim or even at Jewlicious (which, if you haven't been, you should consider going, as it is quite amazing). Although I am not officially Shabbat-observant, it is something I cherish very deeply. I try to make sure that I don't go out to bars of clubs on Friday nights, but rather only to Shabbat-related events. And on Saturdays, I relax as much as possible.

So, as we go into Shabbat, I want to encourage you to truly enjoy it. If you haven't done it, try to have a Shabbat dinner on Friday night, or go without one thing from Friday night through Saturday. I'm not asking to you completely go Orthodox if you haven't done it. Just appreciate that G-d was so thoughtful, he came up with a special day to rip you away from your Blackberry, iPhone and/or computer and actually enjoy the company of real people. What a concept!

I think a roast chicken is one of the best ways to observe Shabbat. Here is a way to make it. Shabbat Shalom and b'tayavon!

ROAST CHICKEN

1-2 whole chicken or Cornish game hen
3 tablespoons seasoning salt (like Lawrys)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut off any remaining feathers from the chicken, which are usually found on the wings and legs. Usually all the inside parts of a kosher chicken are removed except the neck. It’s easily remedied with a good pair of kitchen shears.

Put the chicken in a casserole dish or roasting pan, depending on what you have. Sprinkle the outside with seasoning salt, and well as a little bit inside the cavity. Put in the oven at 375 degrees and let cook for one and a half to two hours, depending on the size of your chicken. You will know it’s done if the juices run clear and you can wiggle the legs (the temperature of the meat should be 165 degrees, if you’re lucky enough to have a meat thermometer -- either way, it shouldn't be pink).

If you want to try a fancier roast chicken and aren’t squeamish about getting your hands into it, here are some of my suggestions:

• Mix about 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves, salt and pepper with ¼ cup pareve margarine until the consistency is nice and smooth. Rub under the skin and on top with the margarine, as well as in the cavity. It gives a nice crispy skin and a yummy inside.

• Lemon juice, garlic salt and dill are a classic combination. Season both the outside and the inside.

• Stuff the cavity with onions, garlic, celery or carrots. You can even do this with citrus fruits such as lemon or orange. It actually gives a good flavor to the chicken.

• For an Israeli flavor, you can never go wrong with some olive oil and Za’atar. Just make sure to season with salt and pepper.

Quick Tip: You can also get the skin of the chicken super-crispy if you can get a pastry brush. Just use it to take the juices that come out of the chicken and brush them on the skin of the chicken every 20 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.