Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Journey Along Second Street

Long Beach is a truly amazing place. I grew up in Thousand Oaks, a place that was so white that white bread was insanely jealous and left me saying, "Where is everybody?" After I graduated high school, I slowly upgraded, going from the San Fernando Valley to Fullerton, and then finally settling in Long Beach with Ari.

It makes sense that I would settle in an area like this. Long Beach is considered one of the most diverse cities in the country. And there are so many places that are so unique to Long Beach -- hanging around downtown, close to the port; walking about Bixby Knolls and its quaint little shops; and I forgot the mention all the charms of Retro Row on Fourth Street.

But Second Street is a very special place for me. It runs through Naples and Belmont Shore, which is known as "The Shore" to the locals. Lucky for me, Ari and don't live that far away. I'm able to get down there in 10 or 15 minutes, and enjoy all of its pleasures. The most amazing thing? It seems like one of the few places in the world where big company stores and restaurants, such as BJs and The Gap, live amongst the local stores that have set up shop along the street.

After I struggle to find parking for a bit, I go to my favorite stops. There are certain places that I always seem to visit when I come down here. Usually, the sun is shining bright and people are enjoying the weather by walking around, usually in the latest fashion trends. Near the coffee shops, locals gather with their adorable pooches (as Second Street is several blocks away from our local dog beach) and friends to discuss what's going on in their lives.

If I'm meeting my lovely friend Mandy, we will meet at the local Coffee Bean, where we'll sip on coffee and chai s (and FYI, Coffee Bean and all of its products are hechshered! It's a kosher place) and talk about all the craziness going on in our lives. However, if Josh wants to go kayaking, there is sometimes a visit to Peet's Coffee, then a trip down Second Street down to Bayshore to the beach there, where you can rent kayaks for $8 an hour.

If I'm in an unusual mood, I will visit Powell's Candy Shop, where they have numerous varieties of Jelly Bellys (my favorite Jelly Bean) and it looks like something in an imaginary world. There are drawers filled with various chocolates and candies, and "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" playing on a screen in the back of the store. There is also every type of candy imaginable. It reminds me almost of Honeydukes in the Harry Potter series of books.

If I am going to have a bite to eat (yes, I eat hot dairy when I go out), I swing into one of the more famous local restaurants, Open Sesame. For a YBK like me, it's a great menu -- everything is marked vegetarian, vegan or raw -- and you can get a good meal for less than you'd sometimes pay for in a non-sit down joint. Plus, you can't beat the flavors. It's Lebanese cuisine, which is very similar to other Middle Eastern foods, with tabouleh salad, hummus, pita and the best falafel ever. On top of it, I only have two words for people who have been there: fried potatoes. Thinking about them makes my mouth water.

Then, I head further down Second Street to two other destinations. Babette's has fresh French bread, one of my greatest weaknesses. And then I come to We Olive, where you can do -- get this -- an olive oil tasting. It's quite an unusual experience, but one that really tests the palette. You have the grassy flavors, the lemony ones, and all the varieties in between. I enjoyed my experience there immensely.

After that (and maybe a glance through the racks at Buffalo Exchange), I am usually on my way home. Although Ari and I would never move down to The Shore (did I mention the back parking?), I am always enchanted. It's so special, and it really symbolizes community in a time where there may be none except on our computers.

On that note (and as a tribute to We Olive, my latest discovery on Second Street), today's recipe is for parmesan eggplant. This happens to be a favorite of my friend Lisa's. Enjoy!

PARMESAN EGGPLANT
1 eggplant
2 cups grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup olive oil

Wash the eggplant and cut and discard the ends. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices (see Quick Tip 1). Meanwhile, spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Pour the oil into a small bowl and put the cheese onto a plate. Using a pastry brush, brush each side of the slice with olive oil and coat each side with the cheese. Put it onto the cookie sheet. Continue this until all the slices are coated. When completed, put into the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven for 350 degrees. Put the eggplant in and bake for a half an hour until the cheese is golden brown. Serve hot.

Quick Tip 1: Eggplant is delicious, but once sliced, it turns brown fast if left out that way. Make sure to immediately proceed with the recipe if you have already cut it up. If it’s still green in the middle, discard it: it’ll be bitter when you cook it.

Quick Tip 2: This recipe should be served immediately. As delicious as it is, it doesn't seem to work once it cools down and then is reheated.

1 comment:

Followers

Powered by Blogger.